Carr Telstar 1X12 Combo
Carr Telstar-Grey Tolex
The key to the Telstar’s unique capabilities lies in its merger of two very different power tubes in the same push-pull output stage: a 5881 (6L6GC type) exerts solidity, control, and a bountiful low end; an EL84 slathers on sinewy, complex, overtone-laden shimmer and bite. There’s really nothing like it, yet put them together and the plethora of tones available are instantly inspiring.
The Telstar sound can easily range from haunting rich cleans to creamy overdrive. Lean/Lush switch tailors the body of the tone while the 53/58 switch changes the overall gain structure and the frequencies the Tone control emphasizes. Sonically treading the years from early Fullerton 50s roundness thru late 50s proto British bite.
- All handwired, true point to point construction
- 17 Watts (full output) down to Zero w/ built in attenuator
- Power Tubes: 1 x 6L6, 1 x EL84, Preamp Tubes: 1 x 6SL7, 1 x 12AX7, 1 x 12AT7
- Use any Octal power tube with EL84, no biasing!
- 53/58 switch – round early 50s Fullerton to Proto British Hot Rod
- Lean/Lush switch – tight to rich bass
- Tube driven Spring Reverb
- Mid Century Midrange
- Extended range One Knob tone control
- Early 60s thin wall space age cabinet
- Custom "Valiant" speaker
- Solen Aerospace Satellite power supply capacitors
- Selected mixed resistor types – Jupiter Tone Caps
- Custom Carr power/output transformers
- Local made saddle leather handles
- Cabinets built in house